My sister has been talking about garbanzo bean (chickpeas) flour for the last year. I was very hesitant to try it but sometimes would look for it in the store if I remembered. Well a year later, and I finally found it. I text her asking her how to cook with it. And she replied' " you season it, mix with water and make little pancakes that you top with shredded meat for a little open faced tacos." So that is what I set out to do :) They were amazing!!!!
Chimichurri Steak and Garbanzo Bean Skillet Cakes
Serving for 2 people (6 skillet cakes)
1/2 lb of meat (I used steak) cut into strips
1 hand full of sliced green and red peppers
1 hand full of sliced onion
Your choice of sauce (I used a store bought chimichurri sauce)
2 cups of Garbanzo Bean Flour
1 1/2 cups of water (may need to add a little more to thin batter)
salt and pepper to season flour
1. In a skillet, saute the onions and peppers with a little olive oil. When cooked through, set aside in a bowl.
2. In the same skillet used for the veggies, saute the strips of meat with 2-3 spoonfuls of sauce.
When cooked through, add to the bowl of veggies.
3. Mix 2 cups of garbanzo bean flour with 1.5 cups of water. Season with salt and pepper. If you feel the batter is to think, add a little more water.
4. In the same skillet used to cook the veggies and meat, add a little olive oil to coat the pan. Place 1/3 cup scoop of batter on skillet. When to edges appear dry (not wet) then its time to flip your skillet cake. They do not take long nor form bubbles like pancake batter.
5. To assemble your skillet cakes: place some meat, veggies and a little sauce on the skillet cake, then fold up and eat.
If you would like information on a few of my ingredients, continue reading and check out the links.
Bob's Red Mill makes a variety of "flours" to be used in sweet to savory dishes. For this recipe, I used Garbanzo Bean Flour which is ground chickpeas. Garbanzo flour is high in protein and especially good in gluten free baking. I found this particular flour at a local gluten free store. Regular grocery stores also carry Bob's Red Mill products too.
Shared on the following blogs:
Bobbis Kozy Kitchen: manic-monday-party-6